Monday, January 30, 2017

Louv Nature Deficit Disorder

"In the United States, as the federal and state governments and local school boards have pushed for higher test scores in the first decade of the twenty-first century, nearly 40 percent of American elementary schools either eliminated or were considering eliminating recess." (Louv 2011)

This seems crazy to me especially for elementary school children. Young kids cant sit inside all day and expect to focus 100% of the time. Recess allows them to almost reset their minds and allows them to be more focused the rest of the day. I remember when I was in elementary school we had a big open field to play on along with a jungle gym and basketball courts. It would allow us to go outside and explore outside instead of sitting indoors all day looking at the whiteboard. Every elementary student should have recess and not just them running to the fence and back. 
Kids at recess posted on PinStake

"Some researchers now recommend that parents and educators make available more nature experiences-especially green places to children with ADHD, and thereby support their attentional functioning and minimize their symptoms." (Louv 2011)


I like this way of treating disorders such as ADHD. I think in the modern age we are quick to recommend medicine to kids because how readily available we can get them. These medicines can cause all sorts of problems to the children that take them. If we take kids away from all the technology and distractions that modern technology has given us and put them back into nature I think it will have a calming effect in most cases. Just taking a walk in the park, going for a hike, or going fishing seem to have a calming effect on people that do it. I know when I get stuck on homework or get frustrated with something just taking a walk by myself calms me down. I agree that we should explore this for kids with ADHD instead of medicating them right away.
Lynn Canyon Vancouver, BC, Canada by Zachary Frederick

"Another parent reported that his son could hit golf balls or fish for hours, and that during these times the boy was 'very relaxed' and his attention-deficit symptoms minimal." (Louv 2011)

I think a lot of this is because when you are out fishing or hitting golf balls you only have one thing to focus on. While Im writing this blog post I have Facebook open, Netflix going, my phone sitting right next to me, and Im reading my book. Young kids these days also have all these distractions. They are worried about what is happening on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram 24 hours a day. This may not be the total cause of ADHD but it doesn’t help. When you are fishing or golfing you don’t care what is happening on Facebook or watching the next episode of The Office. It simplifies life for you and it allows you calm your body. 
Child Fishing posted on http://blog.kidobi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/child-fishing.jpg

"For years, Ybarra had dreamed of puling at-risk kids out of their urban environment and exposing them to nature. with the blessing of the judge, he acted." (Louv 2011)

 I think this way of rehabilitation will only work for a certain type of person. They have to be willing to change or realize what they have been doing to get in this position is wrong. I know a lot of people that haven’t traveled outside the town they live in or the city they live in and that is wrong. I think everyone needs to travel and experience what true nature is. This past summer I went to Lake Joffre in British Columbia and when we hiked to the top of the mountain I saw a glacier for the first time. You always hear about them on TV or in books but when you see them in person it is a different story. I think if kids who are troubled go into nature or travel to a remote village they see what they are doing to get themselves in trouble really doesn’t make sense and they  can begin to change their way.

Lake Joffre Glacier Pemberton, BC, Canada by Zachary Frederick

Louv, R. (2011). Nature-Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment. In University Colloquium: A Sustainable Future (pp. 1-14). Acton, MA: Copley Custom Textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment